We went to Kowloon on the weekend and spent the day exploring the Hong Kong museum of Science and History (located in Tsim Sha Tsui) and as darkness dawned we made our way to Mong Kok (brimming with life), which was a stark contrast since we had spent the entire afternoon with 3000 year old Egyptian Mummies. Instead of the MTR we opted for the bus and get off at Nelson and started our journey with a walk down the pet street and after getting our dose of adorableness from the kittens and puppies I finally dragged Anand (he loves the pets) to the ladies market.
I know I'm supposed to do a post with my weekly haul, but the ladies market deserves a post of its own. Even Anand found some things along the way, but that is a topic for another day. So scroll on to see what all I picked up from Mong Kok and useful tips for shopping there.
Starting from top left
1. Hand fan (big size) - HKD 15 (saw this in Stanley market for 40, but then you have to bargain)
2. Dress - HKD 50 (from a fixed price store, so bargain)
3. No show/Pomp socks socks - HKD 5 each
4 Brown and gold necklace - HKD 48
5. Rings - HKD 20 each
6. Pink mini electric fan - HKD 20 (there was only one store that sold it this cheap, everywhere else it was HKD 40 and up)
7. Bag - HKD 100 (closing time bargains are even better)
Tips for shopping in Mong Kok
1. Bargain, sometimes you can get the product for half the price
2. Some of the store owners are actually rude and if they don't like the price you say they literally push you away. Just skip their store and move on.
3. On the other hand some of them are very nice and warmly welcome you into their stalls
4. The market is an open area with stalls on both sides of the street, and little space to walk in the middle, so be prepared for some rush.
5. Carry cash, they don't accept cards. Some places accept octopus card (the same card you use for the MTR), but cash is your best bet
6. You can get here by train or bus.
7. The market stretches over three long lanes in a straight line, which involves walking, so wear comfy shoes and don't carry to many things.
8. Carry your own shopping bag or backpack, since most of them do not give bags.